The exciting school expansion we’ve all been hoping for is now under way. Due to be completed at the end of July 2023, it will add two extra classrooms to our school and replace our exhausted lunch bar building with efficient and modern facilities.
Here are some of the initial changes people can expect to see, that we’ve shared with the whole school community:
Replacing the lunch bar and kitchen, adding two classrooms and toilets.
The side playground will stay open.
Lunches will be served in the Lower Hall.
School Office is accessed through the car park.
Enter the school through the field gates.
Important changes to remember:
- Construction vehicles will be entering and exiting the school site through a new gate near the existing car park gates.
- The buzzer for the car park and office access will be slightly relocated and will still be in use.
- A temporary, purpose built kitchen will be placed in the car park.
- Break and lunch times may be staggered.
- Those with packed lunch will be able to choose to eat outside or in the hall when their class is called (depending on the weather).
- All children will still have their playtimes and lunchtimes and will be able to use the available play spaces across the week e.g. MUGA.
- The YMCA after school club will be relocated to inside the main building and parents will drop off and collect children through the car park access gate.
- Some school clubs will be relocated within the building to ensure they can go ahead.
Early morning queries can still be directed to the Senior Leaders on the gates; they will be able to contact the office if needed. The staff on each gate will hold a ‘drop off’ box for any letters etc. to be given to the office.
Please read the school newsletter to stay ahead with dates and arrangements, and note the office email address and telephone numbers to reduce the need to access the school office.
The club offer going forward will be reduced whilst space is at a premium and we are limited as to what we can safely offer. It is likely this will not return to a normal offer until next academic year when the building works are completed.
What are we doing to support your child through these changes?
We know at times when there is a lot of change we need to ensure children are well prepared, have a chance to ask questions and know how this affects them.
- This term, our assemblies show photos and drawings of the site so children know what parts of the school site they won’t be able to go in and share why.
- Class teams will be revisiting this in smaller class groups to ensure that worries and questions the children have can be explored further.
- Classes will be able to visit the construction site during learning time so see what is going on and the construction site manager will also be answering the children’s questions.
- There will be regular updates in the newsletter and the children will hear about news through whole school and class assemblies.
- We have provided a photo sheet to go home to help you to talk to your child.
Thank you for your support through this time of exciting change for the school. Please come and speak to the school senior team if you have any questions.
The layout inside the new building: replacing the lunch bar and kitchen, adding two classrooms and toilets.
The area of the front playground sectioned off for construction.
Still plenty of room to play in the side playground.
Our new multi-use games area (MUGA) offers more space to play all year round.
Lunches are served in the Lower Hall. Food is still prepared on site.
Enter through the field gates for dropping off and picking up.
Other articles we’ve published about the expansion
An additional section of the lower playground at the bottom of the steps to the office will be fenced off on Thursday and Friday. The pedestrian gate from the car park will still be accessible, but access will be diverted slightly while BT swap overhead cables for underground cables across the school playground this week; … Read more
This week, the temporary kitchen is being connected to all the utilities and the larger items will be fitted on Monday 5th December. The on-site catering team will be cooking in there from Tuesday 6th December. To help the catering team with this mammoth move, we have arranged packed lunches for Monday 5th December for … Read more
We are excited that things are now starting to happen again, and you will start to see more happening. As you know, dates are subject to change and I will keep you updated if there are any changes. Date What is happening? 21st Nov Temporary Kitchen installed on sitePart of the lower playground fenced off … Read more