The exciting school expansion we’ve all been hoping for is now under way. Due to be completed by December 2023, it will add two extra classrooms to our school and replace our exhausted lunch bar building with efficient and modern facilities.
Here are some of the initial changes people can expect to see, that we’ve shared with the whole school community:
Replacing the lunch bar and kitchen, adding two classrooms and toilets.
The side playground will stay open.
Lunches will be served in the Lower Hall.
School Office is accessed through the car park.
Enter the school through the field gates.
Important changes to remember:
- Construction vehicles will be entering and exiting the school site through a new gate near the existing car park gates.
- The buzzer for the car park and office access will be slightly relocated and will still be in use.
- A temporary, purpose built kitchen will be placed in the car park.
- Break and lunch times may be staggered.
- Those with packed lunch will be able to choose to eat outside or in the hall when their class is called (depending on the weather).
- All children will still have their playtimes and lunchtimes and will be able to use the available play spaces across the week e.g. MUGA.
- The YMCA after school club will be relocated to inside the main building and parents will drop off and collect children through the car park access gate.
- Some school clubs will be relocated within the building to ensure they can go ahead.
Early morning queries can still be directed to the Senior Leaders on the gates; they will be able to contact the office if needed. The staff on each gate will hold a ‘drop off’ box for any letters etc. to be given to the office.
Please read the school newsletter to stay ahead with dates and arrangements, and note the office email address and telephone numbers to reduce the need to access the school office.
The club offer going forward will be reduced whilst space is at a premium and we are limited as to what we can safely offer. It is likely this will not return to a normal offer until next academic year when the building works are completed.
What are we doing to support your child through these changes?
We know at times when there is a lot of change we need to ensure children are well prepared, have a chance to ask questions and know how this affects them.
- This term, our assemblies show photos and drawings of the site so children know what parts of the school site they won’t be able to go in and share why.
- Class teams will be revisiting this in smaller class groups to ensure that worries and questions the children have can be explored further.
- Classes will be able to visit the construction site during learning time so see what is going on and the construction site manager will also be answering the children’s questions.
- There will be regular updates in the newsletter and the children will hear about news through whole school and class assemblies.
- We have provided a photo sheet to go home to help you to talk to your child.
Thank you for your support through this time of exciting change for the school. Please come and speak to the school senior team if you have any questions.
The layout inside the new building: replacing the lunch bar and kitchen, adding two classrooms and toilets.
The area of the front playground sectioned off for construction.
Still plenty of room to play in the side playground.
Our new multi-use games area (MUGA) offers more space to play all year round.
Lunches are served in the Lower Hall. Food is still prepared on site.
Enter through the field gates for dropping off and picking up.
Other articles we’ve published about the expansion
Time capsule ceremony celebrates school’s historic milestone
Vicky Ford MP attended the time capsule ceremony at the school on Friday 24th February. She said: “It was lovely to join the children from Trinity Road Primary School burying their time capsules. They should be extremely proud of what is happening in their school. The expansion of Trinity Road Primary will bring huge benefits to children all across this part of Chelmsford, but also to others … Read more
Expansion progress update by the construction team
January has seen a good month of progress on site with works taking place to the new extension area of the school. The main progress in January has been the excavation and pour of the foundations as shown in the pictures, along with the deep drainage works. The substructure brickwork and underground drainage has commenced. … Read more
Lunch Bar demolition completed
The project to replace our old 1950’s lunch bar building with a new dining hall with two additional classrooms is progressing well. Before the holidays, the contractors stripped out the kitchen appliances and equipment and moved them to the temporary kitchen located in the staff car park. The tables were moved into the Lower Hall … Read more